The Winning Shot

The Winning Shot
Carolina Panther Dante Rosario catches the winning touchdown pass with no time left on the clock

Monday, September 15, 2008

Monday Mirror

Well, ladies, what do you think about yesterday's games? My heart broke for San Diego. Those poor guys lost in the last seconds two weeks in a row. They were robbed yesterday. Did you see Jay Cutler crying his eyes out when he threw that touchdown pass? It was all good. I didn't really see any big upsets yesterday. Mildly surprising were San Francisco's win over Seattle and Washington's win over New Orleans. Carolina's win over Chicago might have surprised some, but didn't surprise me since I have been watching Carolina and know their capability of coming back in the fourth quarter. It's early in the season, and teams can quickly turn it around, but from what I have seen, those teams that are currently 2-0: New York Giants, Green Bay, Carolina, Pittsburg, New England, Arizona, Denver, Tennessee, and Buffalo are the real deal. Conversely, some of the teams that are 0-2: Detroit, St. Louis, Miami, Cincinnati, Kansas City and Jacksonville--probably won't be seeing the playoffs this year. These teams really are lacking in key positions and no amount of good chemistry can save them. In my humble opinion, every other team has the opportunity to still get the job done.

Let's talk about that weird play yesterday that cost the Chargers the game against the Broncos. For those who didn't see it, the Broncos were trying to score on the Chargers, who were ahead 38-32 with one minute left in the game. Cutler dropped back to pass and fumbled the ball. From the side, where referee Ed Hochuli was standing, it could have been ruled an incomplete pass, so ol' Ed blew his whistle when the ball came out of Cutler's hand. On replay, it was undoubtedly a fumble, but because Ed had blown the whistle, the Charger's recovery of the fumble was negated. Denver went on to score a touchdown, and then converted on a very gutsy call from coach Shanahan, who wanted a win instead of a tie. Good call, Coach. I loved it.

Jay Cutler, who fumbled the ball, looked like death warmed over as he waited for the review of his fumble. He knew it was a fumble. He knew he had lost the game for his team by fumbling on the one yard line. He was all set for a sleepless night as the goat of the NFL. Imagine his relief when the Broncos got the ball back. I guess that's why he cried. I would have, too. He must have felt like I do when I wake from a nightmare. Thank goodness I wasn't really standing in front of a group of people stark naked--you know the feeling.

By the way, check out the pecs on that Ed Hochuli. Geez, he looks better than most of the players. He probably feels pretty bad today for blowing that whistle. He stands a chance for losing his job. He most likely won't be officiating the playoffs--the refs get black marks for boo-booing.

I wish I had some photos from the games yesterday to share, but my flight to Jacksonville was cancelled because of Hurricane Ike. I'm sorry, folks, but I was stuck watching football at Buffalo Wild Wings. I still don't have power at my house. I can live without my refrigerator, but no hair dryer is a real problem.

No comments: